It might sound crazy but sometime the air in your home can be toxic – even when it smells great thanks to the latest air freshener innovation.
If you are thinking “Toxic sounds a bit strong”, think again. Thousands of people get sick every year from poor indoor air quality, and most never know it until the doctor tells them why they have been having headaches, feeling sick to their stomach, etc.
So what causes this problem? It’s not what most people think. Of course, cigarette smoke can be damaging but so can a lot of seemingly innocent things, such as SOME (but not necessarily all) types of…
Aerosol “fresheners” (oh the irony!)
Non-microwave safe plastic being used in the microwave
Mold spores (especially from old shower curtain liners, etc.)
Pollen (just how toxic I will leave to the discretion of the allergy sufferer)
And how do you fix it?
Well, a high-quality air purification system is a great place to start but it’s also best to eliminate as many culprits as you know about, because there are almost certainly some you are not yet aware of. Here are some simple tips to get you started…
- Read all aerosol and “air freshener” cans very carefully and look for health indicators on the label. Also use the toll free phone number on the can to ask what are some known risks and side effects (NOT poison control or emergency services).
- Do the same with any other items that affect air quality, such as scented candles, etc.
- Make sure all of your plastic containers that go in the microwave are actually certified microwave safe. You can find out from the original packaging or website.
- Disinfect and/or change shower curtain liners often and get rid of any black gunky residue around shower nozzles, faucet handles and drains.
Run a web search for any product you are not sure about followed by “MSDS”, which stands for material safety data sheet. Just about anything sold in the US has to have one and it will tell you all you want to know and more about chemical properties and risks of the products you use.